When I was a child, I already loved teaching. I remembered every day after school I could not wait to go home, set up a virtual classroom and teach what I had learnt that day. Since then, to be a language teacher has always been my dream job. Later when I went to university, I chose Teaching Chinese as a Second Language as my major because of my strong interest for teaching Chinese, and also because I was influenced by a proverb attributed to the famous Daoist philosopher Laozi: “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” As a translator, you can give the “fish,” or the translation, to others, but as a language teacher you can teach the more enduring “how to fish.” It is a great joy for me to teach Chinese language and culture, and to share the wisdom contained in this venerable language with my students. In my view, acquiring a language is like mastering how to fish, and by using this skill, one not only gains a means of survival, but also a fresh taste of a different culture. Until now, after ten years of experience in this field, I am still passionate about sharing my knowledge, designing fun and effective methods, and helping every student sincerely and positively.
Please click here to view my CV.
|2009 – 2013||PhD in Chinese Linguistics,
Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
|2015 – 2016||Master’s Degree,
Lerarenopleiding Chinees at ICLON,
|2007 – 2009||Master of Arts in Linguistics,
Utrecht University, the Netherlands
|2003 – 2007||Bachelor of Arts in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language,
Zhejiang University, China
|2016 – present||– Assistant Professor and Coordinator, University College Utrecht
-Teaching Chinese language and cultural courses at all levels
-Coordinating in the program of China Studies at the Department of Humanities
-Organizing exchange programs
|2014 – present||– Teacher, Het Amsterdams Lyceum
– Set up the Chinese language course as a new subject and be responsible for the teaching contents and organization of all the related activities.
|2013 – 2016||– Instructor, UvA Talen.
– Be responsible for the teaching contents, teaching material selection and trainings for new teachers.
– Chinese language trainer in an intensive Chinese language program which is based on the Full Immersion method with excursions to Chinese restaurants, supermarket, book shop, temple, etc.
|2007 – 2014||– Instructor and coordinator, Chinese College Nederland Amsterdam.
– Instructor in Chinese language courses at all levels.
– Project manager for the summer courses 2013.
– Coordinator of the administration, teacher training and promotion.
|2011 – 2014||– Instructor and coordinator, Chinees Onderwijscentrum Nederland.
– Instructor in advanced Chinese language courses for teenagers.
– Coordinator of the teacher training, cultural activities and HSK tests.
|2006 – 2007||– Instructor, International Education College, Zhejiang University.
– Instructor in Chinese reading and speaking courses.
– Instructor in intensive Chinese language programs.
Current and Former clients (Business Chinese):
Ruben Terlou (photographer and documentary filmmaker)
Freshfields (international law firm)
Accenture (management consulting, technology services and outsourcing)
The Pepin Press
Meelunie B.V. (global supplier of agricultural ingredients)
Simons & Simons (international law firm)
Qoros (international automobile company)
Loyens & Loeff (Integrated legal and tax advice)
SLEM Waalwijk (international innovation and education center for footwear)